Sunday, March 2, 2008

Here it goes

Ok, so yesterday my son, Maxwell and I went to the garden shops to get some seeds and things to get the garden started. Max, being all of 6 months old, didn't have much of an opinion about what we should plant this year. But he did behave and seemed to have fun.
We bought 24 packs of seeds and with that we got 3 free pack of tomato seeds. I went to a place called Sid's here on the south side. It was actually really nice and had a nice selection.
I would have liked to order from catalogs, but I never ordered any catalogs and I feel like now it is too late. I'm wondering if it matters if I buy them in the store or by catalog.
I wasn't sure which seed company would be the best to buy so I decided to go with a few from each that they had at Sid's. We bought seeds by: Aimers (Lake Valley Seed), Lake Valley Seed, Livingston Seed Company, Burpee, and Thompson & Morgan. We also bought, a few Jiffy plastic containers with plastic covers and some seed starter mix.
To keep track of what I plant I created a journal at www.davesgarden.com. Does anyone have a better site, or program to use to keep track of planting and seeds? Here is the link to the journal I created, http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/sj/jacobs248/0/ .
Now I need to run over to Menards tomorrow and get a few shop lights. I'm pretty excited about this. I'll have to get a picture of the setup after I get the lights and get the seeds planted.
We've never grown plants from seeds, and we are completely redoing the garden that we inherited when we bought the house 2 years ago. If anyone has some suggestions or sites that could help me along, please feel free to share. Thanks.

2 comments:

Gina said...

hi! welcome to garden blogging! good luck with your seeds and thanks for visiting my blog. I'm also in Illinois.

Rosemarie said...

Good luck with your garden (and planting seeds, which I haven't done yet). I'm in the chicago suburbs too and it's always fun to read about other local gardeners.