Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Let the Planting Begin

Well we have begun the planting of seeds. I have a sick feeling though that nothing is going to sprout. Isn't that such a bad attitude? I'm usually much more optimistic. The seeds were so so small. Some of them like pieces of dust, and I just didn't know how to handle them properly. And then, some said "cover slightly" others said "plant to a depth of 1/8in". What is the difference? ARGH..... I guess it is a waiting game to see what sprouts. Here's what we have planted so far:
  • Nemesia Mello 36 medium cells
  • Morning Glory Pin Ensign 36 medium cells
  • Nicotina 18 small cells
  • Hollyhock 18 small cells
  • Lobelia 18 small cells
  • Penstemon 18 small cells
  • Salvia 50 medium cells

And I am also trying the paper towel method with 1/2 seed pack of Morning Glory Flying saucer and 1/2 seed pack of Lupine Sunrise.

I still have two empty trays to fill and two more shop lights to hang. Here is a picture of the setup in the basement and some of the seeds I've bought. Fingers crossed.






2 comments:

Colin and Carol said...

Good luck with your garden. I'm sure your seeds will be the first of many more to come. There is no more satisfying way to garden than to grow it yourself. Buying in plants is a time saving device but not nearly as rewarding.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Looks like a good set up to me - but then I've given up on starting seeds indoors. You should throw some of those Sweet Alyssum seeds into the garden once the snow melts. I planted it once & I've had Sweet Alyssum self sow every year since.